2 acre farm: Me, My Crops, My Purpose

2 acre farm

The experiences, trials, and lives on a small farm in rural Illinois.

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Me, My Crops, My Purpose

My name is Nathan Payne. I am a lifelong gardener, a ceramic artist, and a multitude of other things. I got my start gardening as a child growing gardens, fruit trees, and strawberries with my family which we always canned or froze for ourselves. I have always worked to keep these traditions alive for me and my family. Now I have reached a point in my life where I have decided to take my passion and way of life to a new level. I am starting this blog as a way to document and share my experience of transitioning from a gardener to a farmer.

The property that my farm is on (as the blog title implies) is roughly two acres. Approximately half an acre is wooded, one third of an acre is my yard, the remaining property is open to development. The woods contains about forty percent silver maple and box wood trees which I plan to tap this winter to make maple syrup.

In the second week of August I planted a fall crop of broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, spinach, leaf lettuce, peas, beans, and carrots. I also planted a black berry patch that I will not be able to harvest for two seasons. For now the rest remains in grass.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Tango Joe said...

Greetings from Long Island.
I came across your blog through six degrees of separation from a blog I follow, Cowgirl's Country Life.
Starting here on your fist post seemed appropriate and I have to say I am hooked.

May 18, 2011 at 8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home