2 acre farm: Carrot Test

2 acre farm

The experiences, trials, and lives on a small farm in rural Illinois.

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Carrot Test

I tested the possibility of growing a late crop of carrots. I mostly did this because we moved to our new location in August and I was planting a fall garden and had carrot seed available. I wouldn't say it is a horrible idea as you can see in the pictures the carrots are small and immature but very edible. This isn't something I would recommend for a market garden but if circumstances called for such a thing it would be viable in a home garden. I planted them in such a rush during the move I don't even remember the variety but I know they were some shorter variety, probably Danvers. I still have more to pull but I will let them hangout for a while. My experience has always been that carrots store well in the ground through most of winter. At least until the ground starts to freeze deep.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home