2 acre farm: Frost

2 acre farm

The experiences, trials, and lives on a small farm in rural Illinois.

Friday, November 13, 2009

Frost

It always humors me how everyone has their gardens torn out by September. I always try and tell people how they could be harvesting produce into November even here in the Midwest often with no special care. Most people look at me like I'm insane. I currently still have cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, peas, lettuce, spinach, and kale in my garden despite having had at least four frosts already. We just had another pretty hard frost yesterday; it dropped down to 29 degrees fahrenheit on my thermometer.

I also wanted to give an update on the mini greenhouses. My transplanted spinach is hanging tough and the first seeds have emerged! Interestingly enough I noticed the first seedlings the morning after the 29 degree night. So far the greenhouses are working very well. There are a lot of pictures below. I hope you enjoy them.

Notice the chewed up cabbage and cauliflower leaves. I am starting to think BT is overrated. The cabbage worm damage has had no effect on my harvest. In fact the cabbage heads themselves are nearly undamaged.




Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home