2 acre farm: Still Going Strong

2 acre farm

The experiences, trials, and lives on a small farm in rural Illinois.

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Still Going Strong

Not sure how much longer it will last but the garden keeps producing. The picture of lettuce is from yesterday. It is December now and we still have broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce, spinach, carrots, and kale in the garden. It doesn't quite feel like winter yet but it is getting colder. I imagine any day now we will get some consistent cold that will finally wipe some of the crops out.

I already blanched and froze a bunch of cauliflower and broccoli. I also put a few heads of cabbage in the back of the refrigerator; according to what I've read they should keep good like that for a few months. I am considering freezing some kale for stir fry and spinach for cooking before the temperature gets in the teens, temperatures below the mid 20's will wipe out kale and spinach. I am just not sure if we will put it to use.

I don’t mind the early winter production and actually expect a certain amount of it but lettuce in December is a bit extreme. As long as the weather stays this way I don’t mind, although it is a bit worrisome, global warming and all that…

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home